My Mojo is in the tank. I have one kiddo with pneumonia, and the other two with hacking coughs. I'm stuck with head cold and chest congestion. It's been hard to stick to the Mojo guidelines for these weeks three and four.
The third week entailed being gluten, dairy, caffeine, sugar and alcohol free. Gluten was hard when I didn't feel well. Toast was one of few things that appealed.
Week 4 is about reintegration. Now that food has been eliminated, we can slowly add elements back in to see how our bodies feel and process and how we distinguish between true and false appetites.
I like this guideline for distinguishing between the two that Marcie Goldman gave us:
- You don't want food until you see it.
- You finish your plate.
- You chose fast foods (low blood sugar)
-Weak/no appetite (also low blood sugar)
- Cravings for sweets, processed foods, stimulants, toxins, etc.
- Crave and are sated by whole foods - all five tastes including bitter, sour, savory, salty and sweet (not just the last two)
- You don't finish your plate
- You picture, taste and see your food in your mind's eye
- Slow Food - you're willing to cook (balanced blood sugar)
- Strong appetite for real meals and real food
Our final week is about reentry into the real world and keeping a mindful balance with our diet.
I feel like this has been an incredible learning experience and one in which I have really learned what foods make me feel good.
In preparation for the long weekend, here's some stuff I have wanted to share:
- My middle son, Patrick, got accepted today as a youth farmer to the Boulder County Farmer's Market. We are ecstatic! He's going to grow, sell and market what we cultivate in our garden - tomatoes, pumpkins, herbs, veggies, flowers and more. Can't wait to update about this.
- You can read my article about Colorado Chai that just came out in Edible Front Range Magazine. Here's where to find hard copies and the online version should be up soon.
- Delicious shortbread sandies that are vegan and gluten free.
- I ate the 48-Hour Brisket here two weeks ago, and am still thinking about it.
- A big cool serving bowl that's great for wedding gifts.
- 2012 Beauty & Body Award Winners by Delicious Living